Re: Shutdown/Startup on Linux - won't work at server level

From: Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:33:27 -0700 (PDT)

I've been having the same types of problems with Oracle 10g (10.1.0.3.0)

For the links, add the following lines in the comment section at the top of dbora:

# chkconfig: 345 99 10

Then run "chkconfig --add dbora"

This creates the S99dbora link in rc3.d and K10dbora in rc0.d

I also did a "chmod 775 dbora"

At least in 10g, the dbstart and dbshut scripts had the wrong directory for oratab and that needed to be changed.

For my case, a reboot shuts down the database properly, but the startup still does not work. It works when run from the command line. As root, I execute "dbora start" and it starts up fine.

During the reboot, I've traced it into the dbstart program and all the environment vaiables seem to be getting set properly, but when it goes into sqlplus, nothing happens and nothing after sqlplus is being executed.

I've also tried to just start the listener from the file and it dies there also. I can execute any other "non-oracle" command and they all work fine.

If anyone has solved this problem, I would appreciate it. Metalink note # 264235.1 says it could be related to ASM, which I am not using, but is started anyway. I've tried the suggested work around and tried taking it out of the boot process completely and still no luck.

I saw somewhere else (can't find it now) that it may be a bug and just isn't going to work.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm about to go crazy over this.

Keith