Re: Long IO Latency

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:50:58 -0700

Shiva

 >And I found that they use RAID-5 for all their ".dbf" files. I know that
> >that is a strict no-no. The client's DBA team seems to agree. Just
> >wanted to know from you all, how difficult will it be to migrate all
> >disks down to RAID 0+1? Are there any best-of-breed methods to do it?
>
> It is slow if the application shows it to be slow. Is this in production?
> Are the users complaining?

 If you can take the system down for awhile, the system administrators can probably write the files to tape, reorganize the disk, then recover the files from tape. Start the conversation by telling them the system is messed up because of their incompetency. That should get the ball rolling.  If you can't take the system down long enough for the above, you could move data files on a priority basis.
 Dennis Williams