RE: Histograms

From: Murching, Bob <bob_murching_at_BUDCO.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:38:05 -0400

Tried exactly that when benchmarking some existing apps in a new environment. I suspect that the risk-benefit ratio for global histogram collection is going to vary too much from shop to shop to provide any general answer. From my testing, there was a notable benefit but (like Mr. Breitling's anecdote) at least one batch process that suffered enormously.

I think it's a great thing to kick around as part of doing a database upgrade. As with many complex and relatively modern software features, choosing to implement them is a bit of a betting process. Do you presume that extensive use of histograms is part of the future of Oracle and therefore getting comfortable with 'em now is probably a good bet? Or do you presume that their value will remain on the periphery of CBO efficiency and maybe it's better to play it safe and look for some other hill (with greater rewards) to die on? I lean toward "histogram relevance and contribution is increasing" and will probably give global histogram collection a "first date" when we do our next version upgrade. I'm a sucker for the lure of better performance. But I'd never take similar chances with, say, database backup/recovery...