Re: Username with failed login

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:03:13 -0400

On 8/15/05, Mike Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to catch failed login attempts by using an after servererror
> database trigger. We would like to be able to catch the username that is
> being provided with these attempts, but so far I haven't had any luck.
>
> Is is possible to capture the name that was provided as part of the logon
> attempt and record that information, or do we have to use a different
> method?
>
> The edited trigger/proc we are using look like the following (We are using
> 9.2.0.4):

Mike,

Instead of coding this by hand, why not just leverage the provided functionality?

SQL> show parameter audit_trail

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
audit_trail                          string      TRUE

SQL> audit session whenever not successful;

Audit succeeded.

SQL> connect notauser/notmypass_at_mydb
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.

after reconnecting with a prvileged account:

  1 select username, userhost, returncode   2 from dba_audit_session
  3 where timestamp>sysdate-1/24
  4* and username='NOTAUSER'
SQL> /

USERNAME        USERHOST                       RETURNCODE
NOTAUSER        MYDOMAIN\MYDESKTOP                      1017

hth.

Pd