RE: Standards Compliance (Was: Anyone with experience with MMOG and databases?)

From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:40:20 -0600

And How many compilers have you written, that you can make such a statement?

> > Oracle is not an alturistic organization, to say the least. Oracle
> > isn't likely to promote a standard unless there is a competitive
> > advantage.
>
> As someone else has put, SQL standardisation ain't
> going nowhere.
> But I'd prefer to side with lesser sinners.

You keep harping on that. Can you provide some links (at least), from truly independent sources to validate your claims? Everything I've seen and read has Oracle more standards compliant than either SQL Server or any variation of DB2.

> That said, DB2 has better compliance AFAICU, and even
> in non-conformance it's saner. And PostgreSQL, a current
> underdog but improving dramatically, has stated the intention
> of complying.

Again, which version/platform of DB2, since they are mainly different programs that IBM bought for different platforms and then slapped a new name on all of them?

> Free software may be the dark horse saving ISO SQL.
> Or competitive pressure from MS, which has been inserting
> MSDE (which underlies also MS SQL Server too) into more and
> more products, like AD and SharePoint, and eventually MS
> Windows future filesystem. Perhaps IBM, if it can get its
> act together. We'll see.

Actually MSDE is a runtime engine. While I do wish at times that Oracle had a runtime engine, a runtime engine by itself is rather limiting by it's very nature. How can something inherrently self-limiting supposed to apply market pressure? And I won't even get into the cost of "free" software. That's already been beat to death on this list and others many times over.

> --
> Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
> Administrador de Bases de Dados +55 (11) 4390 5383
> Toyota do Brasil Ltda ldutra_at_toyota.com.br
> São Bernardo do Campo, SP BRASIL

Bill Ferguson
U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team PO Box 25046, MS-750
Denver, Colorado 80225
Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321 Fax (303)236-4208