RE: Anyone with experience with MMOG and databases?

From: Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra <ldutra_at_toyota.com.br>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:51:41 -0300

oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org gravou em 2005-08-12 15:47:37:

> there are *no* ISO SQL compliant DBMSses at all. period.

        Agreed, but not with a period. There are degrees of compliance, and I hold that important.

> and maybe that's a good
> thing -- the standard has it's own problems, and backward compatibility
issues
> caused by horrible mistakes made in earlier versions of the standard.

        As we say in Portuguese, you don't cut out your nose because you thought your own face ugly.

> you mention SQL/PSM as an example of standards non-compliance, and when
I say
> that it is not part of the standard, you say that it is important.

        I think you are misrepresenting, or we are miscommunicating. You said it was not part of the *core*; I said it's still important.

> duh. to whom?

        To whomever wants portable triggers, stored procedures, functions, operators.

        To whomever doesn't want proprietary lock-ins.

> portability does *not* matter -- portability is a wet dream. if you
think that
> an application written in fully ANSI/ISO standard SQL is portable from
SQL
> Server to Oracle, or the other way around, you are sorely mistaken --
because
> the applications will behave differently.

        Hm, it is hardly the standards fault or an inherent problem that you try to port between two non-compliant DBMS. And when one is decidedly problematic.

> Just think about the rather unique and
> sophisticated non-locking read consistency model implemented by Oracle.

        Unique? PostgreSQL has it for quite some time now. Don't remember the situation with DB2, a nice challenge you gave me.

> Just
> search Tom Kyte's website for some nice threads on this topic.

        No time to, but would be indebted for links.

> please, let's forget about D -- until it is implemented.

        It was. Twice. One is mature, other not yet, but it was.

> it is a promising
> theoretical framework, and as such highly interesting -- but it will
need
> another revolution, just like Ted Codd started one around 1970, to make
it
> mainstream.

        Actually we're still waiting for Codd's revolution, we've been robbed of it by IBM creating SQL.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Administrador de Bases de Dados      +55 (11) 4390 5383

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged and intended solely for the use of the person/entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by returning via e-mail as well as delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. TOYOTA DO BRASIL LTDA (including its group companies) shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication, neither for personal, nonbusiness related information nor opinion sent through this email or even for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. TOYOTA DO BRASIL LTDA (or its group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been kept nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.