RE: Anyone with experience with MMOG and databases?

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:47:37 +0200

with all due respect, it looks to me that you are debating just for the sport of disagreeing.
that's a nice sport, by the way, and it keeps you sharp -- but this is just too easy...

there are *no* ISO SQL compliant DBMSses at all. period. and maybe that's a good thing -- the standard has it's own problems, and backward compatibility issues caused by horrible mistakes made in earlier versions of the standard.

you mention SQL/PSM as an example of standards non-compliance, and when I say that it is not part of the standard, you say that it is important. duh. to whom? even many ISO standardization committee members (I know quite a few of them) more or less agree that SQL/PSM is not important as a standard.

portability does *not* matter -- portability is a wet dream. if you think that an application written in fully ANSI/ISO standard SQL is portable from SQL Server to Oracle, or the other way around, you are sorely mistaken -- because the applications will behave differently. Just think about the rather unique and sophisticated non-locking read consistency model implemented by Oracle. Just search Tom Kyte's website for some nice threads on this topic.

proprietary extensions being crap? give me a break, and don't generalize ...

please, let's forget about D -- until it is implemented. it is a promising theoretical framework, and as such highly interesting -- but it will need another revolution, just like Ted Codd started one around 1970, to make it mainstream.

kind regards,

Lex.

Steve Adams Seminar http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html