RE: Oarcle and RAID question

From: Hollis, Les <Les.Hollis_at_ps.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:46:32 -0500

We are running CX500 and CX700 Clariions all set up RAID10 (1+0)

Most of the time we are OK not apparent I/O problems)....however, I have noticed that (we use Spotlight on Oracle here) quite often several of my databases alert me to some waits on DBWn writes and LGWR writes. I am using the same PC with the same install of Spotlight. We did change from E10K multiple nodes to several Sun 480's and 880's. The ONLY other thing changed was we went from EMC Symmetrix RAID 1+0 to Clariion CX500 and CX700 RAID 1+0.

It bothered me to the point that one day I nailed down my SA to be SURE that our storage group had not slipped us some RAID5 pills.

My SA is dead set against RAID 5 and I knew that IF it had happened, it had been slipped in on him. He verified that we are 1+0.

The EMC's were SCSI attached and the CX500/700 are fibre attached