RE: Oracle certification - Worth the hard work?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:48:42 -0700

You can also take the required course on-line for $1500, and save the travel time/expense too - that's what I did.

I just went through all the courses (via self-paced online library, Sybex books, and Oracle documentation) and got my 9i certification a few months ago, currently working on the 10g upgrade. I had already been working as a DBA for a couple years, but I definitely learned a lot of details and different ways of doing things through the courses that I find very helpful in my daily work. I do believe the studying required for the courses helped me to become a better DBA, but obviously no one should be hired solely based on certification or lack of it - same goes for years of experience. I only have about 3 years and I find my self interviewing others that claim to have 10+ years, and their resumes sound like they are the greatest DBA in the world, but then you interview them and they can't even tell you the difference between RAID1 and RAID5!

There are a lot of things you have to learn for certification that you may never use, and you have to remember syntax that you'll forget a week later and have to look up in the documentation again, but it is still good to have at least an awareness of those things so you can be prepared to take advantage of them if the need ever arises.

I think the required course for OCP certification is ridiculous - it doesn't provide any more value and it is a waste of time and money if you already know the topic, but at least you can do the online course and minimize the cost & time - you don't even really have to participate if you don't want - just show up at login time and then do your own thing the rest of the day. Also, you can get your OCA (first two exams) without doing the required course and can even take the first exam online for $75 I think - so that might be a good compromise if you're not sure whether or not you want to get the full OCP (4 exams) - just do the first 2 and then decide from there whether or not you want to continue. The OCA is still a "certification" so it might be good enough to get you through the HR department.

Regards,
Brandon Allen