Re: testenvironment aix or Linux

From: Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra <ldutra_at_toyota.com.br>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:17:25 -0300

Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> gravou em 2005-08-12 11:26:51:

> > > I am an Oracle DBA. I use Oracle to pay the bills.
> >
> > So am I, but I like to know something else.

> Like Debian? As it is hardly used in the commercial environment, I don't
see

        It is hardly used for proprietary systems. When you have a free software stack Debian is probably the best choice, with BSD a great alternative for specific systems like PostgreSQL.

        Free is not opposed to commercial.

> > Really? Why?

> Because it seldomly created any problems. The thing with HP-UX is
> that it just works.

        Hm... yes. But then it rarely does interesting things.

        I mean, HP-UX is configured 'out of the box' for doing only the strictly necessary to support proprietary systems like Oracle and whatnot.  By contrast, Solaris or GNU/Linux is configured to give you nice interactive sessions and all that, specially GNU/Linux.

        But we have already discussed this here.

> I didn't start the fire, it was always burning , since the world's
> been turning.
> In other words, you were the one to start pushing Debian. Debian
> faithful are like
> Jehova's witnesses, fanatically devoted to their little cult and
> hard to get rid of.

        Not at all. You misread your prejudices into my words. I just said that it has the best support, because you claimed Red Hat did without any qualifications; but then *I* did a big qualification by saying it is not (yet) for proprietary apps.

> > > One of the two most popular RPM distros. No medal for the second
place.

> > HP-UX is the second or third more popular Unix, yet you like
it
> > better.

> I like it the best, but not for the popularity reasons.

        Ah, double standards.

> > That is precisely the point. When you run proprietary
software on
> > GNU/Linux, you are on your own -- actually your proprietary vendor has
> > support you. OSS is just such a vendor, like Oracle. If they support
> > SuSE, use their support.

> Eh, but the problem was located and they were supposed to answer my
question.
> They refused to do so. They were treated accordingly.

        Were they? Did their support terms stated they would support your specific, *proprietary* app? If so, I guess you'd gain much more by escalating than by mistreating someone.

        Anyway, your prob. I'm not a SuSE fanboy.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Administrador de Bases de Dados      +55 (11) 4390 5383

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged and intended solely for the use of the person/entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by returning via e-mail as well as delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. TOYOTA DO BRASIL LTDA (including its group companies) shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication, neither for personal, nonbusiness related information nor opinion sent through this email or even for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. TOYOTA DO BRASIL LTDA (or its group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been kept nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.