Re: 11.5.8 on Linux

From: Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra <ldutra_at_toyota.com.br>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:37:43 -0300

oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org gravou em 2005-08-12 11:30:53:

> I haved 11.5.8 oralce apps CD set for Linux (intel)
>
> My doubt is whether they can be instlaled any flavour of linux ?
> Suise/Redhat ?

        SuSE isn't Swiss (Suisse), but you should run Oracle products only in supported platforms. In the CDs there should be release notes, and if not you can get them from http://otn.oracle.com./ -- free registration required.

        Last time I checked Oracle developed on SuSE, and supported to UnitedLinux and Red Hat. This has probably changed, and in any case there are specific versions supported at minimum patch levels.

        Granted you can make Oracle run in nearly any GNU/Linux if you configure it accordingly, but the headache is hardly worth it for anything but saving some bucks in development environments and you loose Oracle's support. Besides there will be very little community support too, even if you can find tutorials for installing a few products (like the Oracle DBMS) on a few popular platforms (like Debian).

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Administrador de Bases de Dados      +55 (11) 4390 5383

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged and intended solely for the use of the person/entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by returning via e-mail as well as delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. TOYOTA DO BRASIL LTDA (including its group companies) shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication, neither for personal, nonbusiness related information nor opinion sent through this email or even for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. TOYOTA DO BRASIL LTDA (or its group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been kept nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.