ORACLE9 Windows 2003 TCP Port Sharing

From: brian <brian_at_techcat.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:35:35 -0400

Hello all.
We are on ORACLE 9.2 on AIX 5.2. We would like to connect to an oracle 9.2 database on Windows 2003.
The windows box is in a DMZ on the network. The AIX machine is in a private address space behind the firewall.
We only want the Windows box to talk to the AIX machine on windows port 1521, and the router, firewall, etc are configured to only only that port through to AIX.

The problem is that oracle on windows by default does not use port sharing, so it will dynamically allocate a new tcp port for the connection.

I found an excellent summary of this problem: http://rlucente.bloki.com/index.jsp?name=firewall_oracle&folderId=106145

The workaround seems to be to use USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE. I added that to the HKLM->Software->oracle but it did not work. I did not add it to the hklm->software->oracle->Home0..1.. That is my next thing to try tomorrow.

I would like to know if anyone here has made a similar connection with a similar setup.
Any advice and comments would be welcome. Thank you!
-brian s

brian_at_techcat.com

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Aug 11 2005 - 22:37:29 CDT