RE: Too many rows reported for index in tkprof

From: David Kurtz <info2_at_go-faster.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:47:49 +0100

Thanks for this. It is isn't from the PeopleSoft Query tool. It might be SQR, but it is more likely to be from a different external system that is referencing PeopleSoft, because the tables are qualified with 'sysadm.'.

There are at least two significant problems here.

i) There is a missing join. If you join 'vn.vendor_id = v.vendor_id', then you should also join 'vn.setid = v.vendor_setid'. This is a common error that shows a lack of understanding for the data model.

I would also suggest changing the 'unique key' index on PS_VENDOR from CREATE UNIQUE INDEX PS_VENDOR ON PS_VENDOR (SETID, VENDOR_ID) ... to CREATE UNIQUE INDEX PS_VENDOR ON PS_VENDOR (VENDOR_ID, SETID) ... So if someone forgets to specify SETID you can still search by VENDOR_ID.
>From PT8.x you can set the 'custom key order' attribute on the index in
Application Designed and change the order there.

ii) If you have an index on PS_BOLETO_BRL.DOCUMENT_NUMB_BRL, then the function on the condition will disable it. Instead of AND SUBSTR (v.invoice_id, 1, 6) = SUBSTR (b.document_numb_brl, 1, 6)
you might try AND b.document_numb_brl LIKE SUBSTR (v.invoice_id, 1, 6)||'%' Or you might need to use a function-based index.

There is something else odd here that I missed the first time round - there is an index PSXPYMNT_VCHR_XREF.
The third character, in this case 'X', is what PeopleSoft calls the index ID. When users specified indexes are created in App Designer each one is give a single character index ID. App Designer allocated the first unused letter for each index. X is the 24th letter of the alphabet. Are there really 24 user indexes? There are only 4 specified in the vanilla application. What has been going on?

regards

David Kurtz
Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
tel: +44 (0)7771 760660