Re: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:22:26 -0700

On 8/9/05, Billy Verreynne (JW) <VerreyB_at_telkom.co.za> wrote:

> Anyone that thinks that deploying Oracle on Linux will result in a
> faster system than deploying Oracle on Windows on the same h/w
> platform, is sorely mistaken.

Disagree.

I've run an application database on two nearly identical servers, one running linux, one running windows.

These were not quite identical, as the windows box had more disk. Both boxes had the same type of physical disks. The linux box had 3 RAID1 volumes for everything.

The win32 box had dedicated RAID1 volumes for redo, RAID10 for data/index, separate RAID10 for archives.

Running the same data feeding the same application, the linux box was noticably faster. No, I didn't measure it, it was not important at the time.

The linux server was actually running 3 databases at the time.

As for the Perl script, run strace on it. It generates time() calls a million times.

--
Jared Still