RE: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

From: Cary Millsap <Cary.Millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:44:07 -0500

The answer is "may not be." Imagine some syscall that's slower on operating system A than it is on operating system B. It's of course possible to construct an app on system A that uses this syscall so many times that the syscall's contribution to response time dominates the user's experience with the app.

I think Billy's point is that the odds of this happening to you are slim, and I think Leandro's point is that the odds may be higher than you might believe.

I'd like to insert the perspective, "Why bank on 'odds?'" No matter what the odds, it might be affecting you; it might not. If you learn how to measure response time accurately, then you'll KNOW whether you're affected, and you'll be able to make an informed decision about what to do next.

If you learn how to measure response time accurately, you won't waste your time fixing things that aren't problems, and you won't have to endure problems that you can't detect.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *