Caution on LOG_PARALLELISM

From: Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:49:16 +0200

Hello Folks,

     We were faced with a show stopper Ora-600 kcrfr_resize2 while opening the database and best we could do was a partial recovery of the database.

Luckily for me, I had tried this in a test environment and I can live with the dataloss.

I thought I would share this experiance with you so that it would be beneficial to someone

We are running on 9.2.0.6 on Solaris 9. We were in the process of tuning a heavy batch run for a an application. being a test environment, we were on noarchivelog mode.

  We had set LOG_PARALLELISM to true and bounced the database and were pursuing the tuning operation and then for a maintenance we had to bounce this database and when we started the databse, the database failed with Ora-600 kcrfr_resize2.

 I had raised a TAR with oracle and Oracle response was this is a bug that is fixed in 10.2 and hence they were asking me whether should they backport this to 9.2.06/9.2.0.7 but would lake its own sweet time.

Instead of waiting for the backport, I had asked them if there any workaround possible to open the database so that I can continue with my work. Thier reply was
set _allow_resetlogs_corruption=true, recover the database and then do a open resetlogs. I had followed the same but again faced with the same error. after some desparate trail and error, was able to open the database but with a minimal dataloss.

 Lesson I learnt from this exercise is that always use log_parallelism with caution and would also suggest folks not to try this directly in a critcal environment.

Best Regards

Sriram Kumar