RE: Disk solution for the small Oracle shop....shared disk space options for Linux servers???

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:13:51 -0400

>>you said yourself you were already considering going to tape from this disk???
I did. One day we hope pull from the disk backup system just critical or monthly centralized backups pices.

>>also send copies off site (even small shops should be doing this as a minimal DR strategy)
Agreed.

>> I'm not sure about the claim that it breaks/fails often
>> we don't see that and we're probably running 1000s of backups each day.
Ask your SA's not if, but "how often" they have a tape IO error that either automatically completes that part of backup again, or must re-run the entire backup.

>>Perhaps you just had an incompetent SA supporting your system, or you had bad hardware?
I have worked with many SA's in multi million dollar shops. The all could not have been incompetent. And they all have the same complaints, expectations, and realities about tape.

>> I'm pretty sure tape is more reliable than a disk drive.
Your going have a hard time finding support for that claim.

Again, I have used and implemented Oracle-RMAN-MML tape backups. They work, but are hardly hassle free (but what is hassle free, I know). We have not even talked about the tape speed issue and the fact that a tape subsystem becomes a whole new animal the must be admin'ed, monitored, tuned, and verified.

Trying to set up Enterprise class tape backups system with a small biggest and small staff if very hard and unwise. For when it (unknowingly) fails, we would be in deep trouble.

Tape is fine, but doesn't reduce our complexity, but rather adds to it.

Chris

From: Allen, Brandon [ mailto:Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com] Sent: Tue 8/9/2005 12:22 PM
To: Marquez, Chris; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Disk solution for the small Oracle shop....shared disk space options for Linux servers???

Why not just backup straight to tape and then it sounds like you won't need that disk space at all?