RE: What are the implications of running dbms_stats and analyze compute?

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:19:49 +0200

Hi Ana

>My question is, if there is a problem by having tables analyzed with
>dbms_stats and others with analyze compute.

I'll say no. Basically for two reasons:
1) For the optimizer it's not important who computes the statistics. Sometimes even hacking the stats is a "good" thing... 2) Up to 9R1 dbms_stats used to call analyze to gather some statistics... Therefore you almost always had a mix in 8i and 9iR1.

Regards,
Chris

PS: If you have partitioned objects dbms_stats and analyze gather the statistics in a different way. Basically dbms_stats does a better job, but perhaps in your case the statistics gathered by analyze (which are probably wrong...), could lead to a better execution plan.