RE: RMAN restore times

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:23:20 -0700

Of course, if you run multiple RMAN channels (requires Enterprise Edition) to multiple tape drives, you should be able to reduce the backup/restore time considerably. Here are some specs I pulled off of storagetek.com - looks like you can also speed things up significantly with LTO-3:

Spec Summary
  LTO Gen 1
  LTO Gen 2
  LTO Gen 3

Capacity, native (uncompressed):
 100 GB
 200 GB
 400 GB

Data transfer rate, native (uncompressed):  15-16 MB/sec
 32-35 MB/sec
 80 MB/sec

Interface:
 Single port Ultra 2 SCSI
 Single port Ultra 3 SCSI
 Ultra 320 SCSI

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Khemmanivanh, Somckit Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 8:26 AM
To: Hallas, John, Tech Dev; Lora Martin; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: RMAN restore times

Thanks for your response, I have 2 questions/clarifications:

  1. You mention "RMAN backyp from the mirror then re-sync". How is this possible? The mirror copy will be in hot mode, you have to recover the database to open it. Doesn't the database have to be open in order for RMAN to back it up? Did I miss something? If so can you clarify?
  2. Regarding restore times, what times have people been seeing with RMAN? If you can post your tape technology that would be much appreciated. If we stick with BCV then it's really hard to beat that technology for restore times but can we get close?

Thanks!
From: Lora Martin [mailto:lmartin_at_clubmom.com] Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:01 AM To: Khemmanivanh, Somckit; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: RMAN restore times

If you have BCV - I would use that. I have used EMC BCV... very fast... then go to tape from there. When we restored 4GB file using RMAN from tape on a 2TB system - the restore took 4 hrs

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Aug 08 2005 - 13:23:57 CDT