RE: Why I Will Never Buy This Product

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:32:25 -0400

LoL
 :o)
Funny and true.

Sadly this means everyone pays different prices. But some form of "one seat" reference would be nice and do-able for them I agree. Nothing to hide, because all of their competitors know each others price.

For one client, I am kind of in the same boat, but with a hardware purchase.

Dell, clearly and simply lists the price on the web site...even though they are kings of "a la cart" hardware. HP, EMC, and others force me to "talk" to a re-seller for even a clue as to the hardware cost!?

Low end, basic hardware is a commodity...and this info should be stable and readily available. Any sales person that we do meet with will not be happy nor want to work with us for a $2k purchase...they will direct the conversation and technical information to more expensive products and drill us for other hardware purchases.

Advantage Dell!

Why can't the big hardware boys see that Dell is doing them, what M$ did to Novell & Apple years ago...and what Linux has been doing to UNIX. It is not the Dell has the best hardware...they just make it cheap, easy, and simple to get. My god this same story plays out over and over again.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA