RE: OCFS2

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:01:25 -0400

>>some of you complain about OCFS
>>and make all kinds of dispariging comments
>>please get technical because I fail to find
>>any value in a posting that just bitches

OCFS is slow(er), that is a fact...and slower than RAW when promoted as begin equal to RAW!?

When going to a new server with more disk (7 spindles vs. 4) and more powerful CPU, more RAM we find;

All of the things I reference above I have not seen once but many, many times over and over again.

I have personally spent months trying to better or system (disk config) for OCFS use...and we have made improvements, but reality is that our db ran much faster "WITH LESS HARDWARE" when we used EXT3.

We had RAID5, then went to RAID1, move arch logs to local EXT fs, re-laid out every datafile on each disk based on optimal application data access.

The reality is that this db will run immediately faster if we got off OCFS.

Again, I know the reality is "you get what you pay for"...and for OCFS we have paid nothing in $$$, but plenty in time!

This is not a bash of OCFS, but the reality...my reality...I see it and live with it every day. OCFS works and has strong management benefits over RAW, but don't kind yourself about it equality to other filesystems.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA