Re: OCFS2

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:24:31 +0000

On 08/08/2005 09:05:52 AM, Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra wrote:

> oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org gravou em 2005-08-08 10:01:43:
>
> > Take a look at the list of patches for 9.2.0.6 on Linux. Cluster
> > manager was actually downgraded by 9.2.0.6 installation. Patches
> > are always late for Linux and bugs are more severe.
>
> Is that a fault of Linux, GNU, Red Hat or Oracle?

How about IRS? I'd like blaming them for something.

> Given known history, I'd bet Oracle. Perhaps Oracle, but more
> probably Oracle.

Nope. Oracle is unbreakable. Oracle has its fair share of problems but Linux is far from being blameless. Look at the kernel 2.6.12 and how many subversions were officially released.

> Also I gather there is a mismatch between development models. Yes,
> Oracle as a black box tails well with Unix as a black box.

I see a red door and I want it painted black No colors anymore I want them to turn black I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes I have to turn my head until my darkness goes I see a line of cars and they’re all painted black With flowers and my love both never to come back I see people turn their heads and quickly look away Like a new born baby it just happens ev’ry day I look inside myself and see my heart is black I see my red door and it has been painted black Maybe then I’ll fade away and not have to face the facts It’s not easy facin’ up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue I could not foresee this thing happening to you If I look hard enough into the settin’ sun My love will laugh with me before the mornin’ comes

I see a red door and I want it painted black No colors anymore I want them to turn black I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes I have to turn my head until my darkness goes Hmm, hmm, hmm,...
I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black Yeah!

(The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black)

> GNU/Linux
> expects everyone to collaborate in the open. If you want something that
> tails well with GNU/Linux, you should be considering PostgreSQL -- if only
> Oracle SQL was standards compliant.

What is SQL standard? SQL 92? I hate ANSI joins and alike. It gives people the impression that it is possible to write "database independent applications". That has resulted in some of the most abominable applications that I've ever seen.

> > (CUPS sometimes must be restarted
>
> Yeah, CUPS is overengineered. Feel free to run lpr-ng or whatever
> you like instead.
>

> > some ethernet drivers were faulty, NVIDIA doesn't
> > work with dual monitors
>
> All of this is no fault of GNU/Linux. Again, vendors are not
> playing the game. You should work only with free drivers, preferrably
> those where the vendor released full technical specs to the community.

Oh, come on! Linux is partly to blame! Look for Torvalds vs. Tannenbaum debate and see the OS model chosen against the advice of other, more experienced people. As a result, Linux kernel is now a monster that is a bit overwhelming. Kernel development cannot be run like a pyramid scheme: you cannot expect new developers when you need them. Telling your friends to find new developers will not always work.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com