RE: Buffer Sort explanation

From: Deepak Sharma <sharmakdeep_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Thanks for the explanation. But, if you look at my original post's tkprof output, I don't know the formula used to calculate buffer sort. Even though line (d) returns 1.6M, why does Buffer Sort (c) report 127M ? Does it actually read 127M? It seems like it does because the query takes ~3 Hrs to complete. The original query is 1 FACT table joing to 3 DIMS. This plan shows for one of the dimensions. If I write the query to use only 2 dimensions and explicitly give the values on the FACT for the 3rd dimension (this one), the query comes back in <1 min. So, this definetly is a bottle-neck, and I am trying to understand how this value for buffer sort is calculated.

I also tried setting _optimizer_cost_model to 'choose', 'io' and 'cpu', but still get the same plan containing 'buffer sort' step.

  Rows Operation

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs