PL/SQL unit MIA

From: Billy Verreynne (JW) <VerreyB_at_telkom.co.za>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:54:53 +0200

Busy hunting Metalink for information, but maybe someone here can point me to likely causes to investigate.

I get ORA-06508 "PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called". Not an unusual error and the cause is very obvious. Or so I thought till now.

What is unusual is that the unit being called exists. The caller is the owner of that procedure.

The caller calls a range of these procedures.. and everything works fine until this single unit (proc) is called. The caller runs via DBMS_JOB. The proc being complained about is not invalid. Dynamic SQL is not being used. The same DBMS_JOB has been running fine (every hour on the hour) and the error is intermittant. It's not an issue of another user interfering (I have the RAC to myself). Scope should not play a role (no ALTER SESSION to set current_schema). No manual reset of package states. Just plain vanilla code that does INSERT..SELECTs - nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing that could cause the proc in question to be invalidated (which should give a different error?) or actually being drop and re-created.

Directly after the error and the DBMS_JOB failing, I can run the actual proc being complained about - no errors. I can run the actual caller proc (the one scheduled via DBMS_JOB) that calls the range of procedures to perform the hourly processing - no errors. Very weird..

Platform details:
12 node 10.1.0.3 Enterprise RAC running on Red Hat ES3.

--

Billy

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited e-mail legal notice available at
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Aug 05 2005 - 05:56:58 CDT