RE: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:37:33 +0200

Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco wrote:

> I had been reading several articles, about how much faster is linux
> than windows.

Load of bull.

> I don't know what is real and what is marketing.

Juan, exactly!

An o/s being faster than another o/s..? In the real world we measure the performance of our applications. Not "how fast" the o/s is. And anyone that harps on about performance being superior on one o/s than another, is a fool IMO.

What is important is to understand the strenghts and weaknesses of each o/s. Linux is not Windows and Windows is not Linux. And anyone that treats the one like he treats the others, will only suceed in shooting himself in the foot. Under the hood there are a lot of differences between how Windows work vs how Linux works. From memory management, to process management and file systems and security and networking and .. and. Obviously there are loads of differences in how things are done. Obviously an idiot who treats one like he would the other will run into performance issues.

Saying that Windows does ABC faster than Linux or that Linux does 123 faster than Windows.. that is a fundementally flawed approached to dealing with operating systems. That's why you should not pay any attention to the FUD being spread in such articles Juan.

FWIW, I have used Linux since pre 1.0 kernel days. I was a beta tester on the Microsoft Chicago and Daytona projects. I have used Windows in the "corporate mission critical" environment when Windows-NT was still truly New Technology and the Pentium 60 was the latest CPU om the market. I have used Linux - and is still using Linux in the same environment. Both operating systems are equally capable of serving in that environment.

Make no mistake that I hang my Linux colours high and only use Windows as a console gaming platform at home these days. But the choice of which one to use has *nothing* to do with o/s performance and everything to do with what is the best choice for *your* environment, meeting *your* requirements, *your* ITS strategy...

--
Billy

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited
e-mail legal notice available at
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF