RE: Copying ORACLE_HOME?

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:35:32 -0700

>>>The whole thing smells to me like Oracle has no idea and is
>>>grabbing at straws, but I would like to get people's
>>>opinions. Feel free to email me off-list if you'd rather
>>>not publicize your possibly illicit activities.

Oracle marketing speaks of a "clone Oracle Home feature" with 10g.. I treat all such claims from Oracle Marketing with the spaghetti test...

We seldom install Oracle here. If we did, that would be all we do since we have over 100 clusters. The gotchas in 10g are the occurrances of the hostname embedding in goodies all over the place, to include filenames...and of course, the full OFA pathname gets embedded into files, but if you standardize on pathnames, you should be ok.

RAC, on the other hand, cannot be cloned. Way tooo many install-time mods and the post-install tools to repro such are, let's say, not quite fully baked (read don't work at all).