Re: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how much faster is linux than windows, please?

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:22:04 -0400

Juan,
 some simple tests I ran with timing on. table record count = 3079
table data is identical.
box 1 OpenVMS Oracle 8.1.7.4 cpu 400 Mhx 1 GIG dedicated memory ALPHA server class box 2 Redhat Oracle 10.1.0.4 cpu 800 Mhx 775 MEG server memory PC intel class

set pagesize 0 to eliminate headers.
set timing on

select count(*) from table;
box1 0.0.0.14
box2 0.0.0.02\

select * from table;
box1 0.1.35.65
box2 0.0.24.58

 I like the speed and when I rolled service to the Linux box this week the users were impressed with the speed.

Ron

>>> Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com> 08/04/05 10:49 AM >>>
Hi,
I had been reading several articles, about how much faster is linux than windows. I don't know what is real and what is marketing.

Could some one share please their own tests.

Thank you

--
Oracle Certified Profesional 9i 10g
Orace Certified Professional Developer 6i

8 years of experience in Oracle 7,8i,9i,10g and developer 6i