RE: Drop Partitioning

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:28:47 +0100

I think it is much simpler than that. Experiment first though

John

ALTER TABLE <table_name>
EXCHANGE PARTITION <partition_name>
WITH TABLE <new_table_name>
<including | excluding> INDEXES
<with | without> VALIDATION

EXCEPTIONS INTO <schema.table_name>;

ALTER TABLE sales
EXCHANGE PARTITION feb97 WITH TABLE sales_feb97 INCLUDING INDEXES
WITHOUT VALIDATION
EXCEPTIONS INTO uwclass.problems;

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bryan Wells Sent: 03 August 2005 10:57
To: Oracle-L
Subject: Drop Partitioning

We have a test box that we want to remove partitioning from. does anyone have the steps to retain table data while dropping the date range partitioning. My first thought was the following. please correct me where I go astray:

  1. export the table data
  2. create similar table in the same tablespace with the appropriate constraints/indexes
  3. insert into <new> as select * from <old>
  4. alter table <old> drop partition
  5. drop table <old> cascade
  6. alter table <new> rename to <old>

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise...