verifying Oracle client install on Windows

From: John Clarke <jclarke_at_centroidsys.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:59:30 -0400

We're in the process of using NAL (Novell Application Launcher) to perform Oracle client installations on desktops that we plan on deploying in our enterprise, and the first thing we want to do is check whether Oracle client software is installed on a machine. If it is installed, the script will do nothing. If not, it'll install a packaged Oracle client.

The Novell admin is looking for a single place and/or file to check for the existence of the Oracle client. The users will have the liberty to install/de-install software on their own machines whenever they choose, and thus select the location for %ORACLE_HOME%. Evidently, this NAL thing would like a single place to look in order to validate. We're targeting NT4, W2K, and XP.

I was thinking of looking in the registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Oracle/ALL_HOMES. Is this a good idea or the best place to look?

Thanks in advance,

John