Re: Advice about why not setting multi-block sizes

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:23:44 -0400

Thanks Lex, I agree you with the test, and with every one of your words, something I will never do is to advice tu use multiblock tablespaces in a big database, until i could prove this is better.

I'm going to be honest I work more time in development, from time to time I got time and focus on database.
So I do some changes, and see what happens, first I see performance is not reduced.
I do it serious test, verifying this is not going to be harmful to customers. Then I move to product and see, I'm sure this is going to be at least the same perofrmance as before.
I know I should run a more serious test, but I don't have time, and any problem can be fixed immediately.

One example is histograms, following Burleson advice, I start getting histogram statistics, I understand the problem is if the firts time it takes the wrong access path it can harm the performance. But in my situation,
1) I saw it optimized up to 3x times some processes. 2) I saw there was not a harmful effect in other process So I keep it.

I did the same thing with index compression, I recognize I was an stupid, because I didn't verified how much was compressed. But I didn't saw a negative effect. Until the moment I learned using the maximum compression can create bigger indexes, that day I fixed that.

I understand in a dataware house a simple bad sql can harm all the database, this is not the situation. there are several minutes when the server is idle, no body is accessing none of the three databases. Tuning is important, but not as important and is not sensible . Periodic gathering of statistics solves most of the problems. More important is developemnt.

If I would be doing this in a big database, Now you explained me that, I would fire myself, but here is another world I see you don't know, in Bolivia whre there are 8,000,000 on inhabitants, and an important group live out of the cities. There are really not big database. Once I thought 8,000,000 of records was big, until the day I understand, for Oracle 8,000,000,000 could be really big, 8MM was not big.

So you are right, but I live in another world, . :)