RE: Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a hermaphrodite

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 04:48:42 -0700 (PDT)

It's certainly a nice shortcut to do this with empty strings but by analogy with other data types this sounds like cheating.... ;-)

If you have, say, graduation dates for students and some students drop-out and do not complete their courses, you cannot set the "empty date" for their graduation - there is no such thing - even though you KNOW that they do not have a graduation date.

You'd have to set it NULL and use some other attribute to distinguish them from students who have not dropped out but have not yet completed their course.