Re: Q: oracle data files & performance

From: zhu chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:28:25 +0800

 Hi ,
I've received a two interesting questions from a collage of mine.  1)
If two processes are writing to the same file , will they suffer from some conation on the file handler ?
Do you think that spreading very busy tables (has a lot of inserts from different sessions) on different tablespaces (which will be translate to different data files ) will have better I/O performance over one single data file ?
 I'm talking only from performance perspective , not from backup & recovery ?
 £­£­There is the so-called single file write lock in unix. Raw volume/disk does not have this problem. and solaris/AIX 5.3 now have feature called Concurrent IO, which also solves this problem.
 I am not sure, when we have several dbwr configured, whether different dbwr will write to the same datafile in the same time.  2)
If we have tablespaces with several data files . Will oracle allocate extents in a round-robin fashion between the files or will he fill one data file and then pass to the another data file ?   Oracle will write to the datafiles in a round robin fashion. You can create a tablespace with 3/5 datafile, and create atble, allocate extent, see how oracle distribute it among different datafiles.