RE: Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:49:17 +0200 (CEST)

well, I don't want to start a religious thread here, but I think it is a problem that Oracle treats empty strings as nulls. an empty string is a string, allbeit a short one (just like an empty set is a set, though a small one) and thus has a datatype. a null is a marker, not a value, and has no datatype. therefore, there is (or should be) an important difference between empty strings and nulls.

cheers,

Lex.