Re: OT: Bonusquestion - is the CBO a He, a She, an It, or a hermaphrodite

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:50:41 -0600

Mark,

very nice. I agree with your conclusion; instinctively without having put as much thought or articulation into it. I suppose that triggered the question because the OP referred to Oracle as a "he".

Now for the bonus question in the subject - before Steve shuts the thread down :-)
Here too I have an instinctive opinion.

For an explanation/excuse - it's 30 degrees outside (Celsius - 86 F for our metrically challenged friends in the US of A) which is rather rare up here in the north. I believe my brain has shriveled up and only silly thoughts remained. We're more used to -30 (Celsius = -22 F) as Cary can attest to.

At 04:01 PM 7/31/2005, Mark W. Farnham wrote:
>In Hellenic (Greek/Western) cultural history, the Oracles of Apollo at
>Delphi are arguably the preeminent reference of "Oracle."
>
>So I'm thinkin' Oracle is a high flyin' she, which partly explains why she
>thinks a zero length string is a null value but simultaneously understands
>that a numeric zero is not a null.

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation