RE: System Statistics oracle9i

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:16:30 -0700

Interesting question!

I raised a similar question a while ago, and Jonathan Lewis answerd it. Considering what he said and based on my own research, the gist of is that
(a) we will need stability in these values (so plans don't change on you).
(b) These values need to reflect reality (so you give the CBO real values it
can use) (c) the calculated MBRC could be adversely affected by the size of the buffer cache and the existence of hot blocks on objects that are undergoing FTS. In short, I would ignore the calculated MBRC and keep it set at what the OS will allow (usually 64K if not tuned), and use an external program such as IOZone that can measure your disk performance for (almost real-life) values for Single/Multi block reads and set them into system stats manually.

As for two instances on the same server showing differing characteristics for SRDTM and MRDTM, I would go back to the SAN/Volume Manager and see how the SAN/SA carved up your LUNs for you. I had run into an issue a while ago
(3 years?) where the SA gave us apparently different filesystems but carved
them out of the same LUN. And I kept raising my voice until I got filesystems on dedicated (but smaller) LUNs....

Let the list know how it goes!

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc