dataguard / applying archive logs

From: David Sharples <davidsharples_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:24:18 +0100

Hi, 9.2.0.5 Linux

Got a physical standby database which is going to be in read only mode for a number of weeks.

The archive logs from the primary are naturally going to build up on the server read to be applied.

What we want to be able to do is only apply one days archive logs at a time, before putting it in read only mode then doing out work on it then putting back to managed recovery and apply the next days logs

So on the primary (a 4 node RAC) we will note the log sequence numbers at the end of each working day

So say for example at the end of day one, we have these logs

thread#1 log 1
thread#2 log 1
thread#3 log 1
thread#4 log 1

When we put the standby into managed recovery can we say only apply up to sequence 1 for each thread? It should be possible if someone was watching the logs being applied and cancelling managed recovery but that is dangerous and prone to failure.

Anyway this can be done automatically

Thanks