RE: Enterprise Manager/RMAN Issues

From: Weiss, Rick <rweiss_at_mt.gov>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:37:07 -0600

I wanted to let everyone know the solution to this problem

First, I created the schema to hold the recovery catalog on the 9.2.0.6 database, I ran the create catalog from RMAN in the 10.2.0.1 Oracle home and then set up the backup jobs from Enterprise Manager Grid Control 10.1.0.3 and let the process do its magic, so far it looks like everything is functioning, I am going to test recovery on a weekend when I can get complete control of the database.

I want to thank everyone for their input. As usual this list provides timely support when the TAR process can't (SLES-9 not certified yet on 10.2)

Rick Weiss
Oracle Database Administrator
Montana Department of Labor & Industry
Centralized Services Division
Technical Services Bureau
1327 Lockey
P.O. Box 1728
Helena, Montana 59624-1728
(406) 444-9628
rweiss_at_mt.gov

From: Peter Gram [mailto:peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk] Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 11:19 PM
To: breitliw_at_centrexcc.com
Cc: Weiss, Rick; Oracle-L (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Enterprise Manager/RMAN Issues

Hi Rick

There are only answers when it comes to recovery catalog database

target db

8.0.6 - 9.2.0.x         => 8.1.7
10.1 - 10.2.             => 9.0.1

/peter

p.s : Oracle® Database Recovery Manager Reference 10g Release 2 (10.2) Part Number B14194-01 Appendix B

Wolfgang Breitling wrote:

        The rman catalog must be on a database that is of equal or higher version than the database(s) you want to register. So your catalog must be on version 10.2. in order to register a 10.2 database.

        At 02:41 PM 7/25/2005, Weiss, Rick wrote:

                I am having problems setting up the recovery catalog for RMAN backups in my environment. I have the following existing environment, DEV, TEST and PROD on 9.2.0.6 on separate SLES-9 servers currently being backed up and maintained using OEM 9.2(Java Client) on a different server with its OEM Repository on a 9.2.0.6 database. - Everything there works great. I have all the recovery catalogs on the OEM repository database and back it up last level 0 every night with its recovery catalog on the production database.

                Now, I am trying to add a DEV 10.2.0.1 database and OEM Grid Control v10.1.0.3 to the mix. I need to begin backing up this database and have not been able to get past the point of registering the 10.2 database on a recovery catalog. I have tried creating all the combinations of recovery catalog using RMAN line mode in my environment (9.0.1 from the EMGC oracle home, 9.2.0 from the other repository, 10.1.0 from an obsolete database install on my test server and 10.2 from my development server), every time in EMGC (web client) when I try to register the database (DEV 10.2) in the installed recovery catalog, I get an error that states:

		Incorrect Recovery Catalog Information
		[]

		Recovery catalog scheme version 10.02.00.00 is not compatible with this version of RMAN (or whatever version I installed)

		I have RTFM'ed as much as I could find and still am baffled, is there something (probably real simple) that I have missed in this mess.  I haven't tried backing this database up using the 9i OEM, because the same thing failed when I tested it on a 10.1.0.3 database, so I think I am tied to the Grid Control backup process.

		Rick Weiss
		Oracle Database Administrator
		Montana Department of Labor & Industry
		Centralized Services Division
		Technical Services Bureau
		1327 Lockey
		P.O. Box 1728
		Helena, Montana  59624-1728
		(406) 444-9628
		<mailto:rweiss_at_mt.gov> <mailto:rweiss_at_mt.gov> rweiss_at_mt.gov

	Regards

	Wolfgang Breitling
	Centrex Consulting Corporation
	http://www.centrexcc.com

--

Best regards / Venlig hilsen

Peter Gram
Miracle A/S <http://www.miracleas.dk>
Kratvej 2
DK - 2760 Måløv

Cell:  (+45) 2527 7107
Phone: (+45) 4466 8855
Fax:   (+45) 4466 8856
Home:  (+45) 3874 5696

Skype: peter_gram
Email: peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk
5-6 september 	Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus 	Lex de Haan
24-26 october 	Tom Kyte

30 october 	Special OakTable Day in Birmingham

October 31 - November 2 	UKOUG conference in Birmingham.

15-17 november 	Cary Millsap

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

ATT124606.gif