Library cache lock during concurrent dbms_stats

From: Deepak Sharma <sharmakdeep_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

We have a table that has roughly 1200 subpartitions
(size 240GB - 175M rows). When I made a copy of this
table last week (for some partitioning changes), the table and indexes got built in ~8 Hrs, but the dbms_stats.gather_table_stats took ~ 36 Hrs.

At that time I used the above pkg with
(granularity=>'SUBPARTITION, degree=>4), and ran the
command one-by-one for each 1200 subpartitions (hence this much time taken).

I tried creating 2 scripts containing different set of subpartitions, and executed them as shell background jobs. I noticed the 2nd script's dbms_stats waited on event 'library cache lock' and the session it waited on was the 1st script's session.

My question:

When I run 'dbms_stats.gather_table_stats' that analyzes 2 different subpartitions in 2 separate sessions, why does the 2nd one wait on 'library cache lock', and proceeds only when the 1st one finishes?

I thought until now, that I could use multiple jobs to analyze different sub-partitions concurrently.

Any other idea to perform the above quicker would be much appreciated, since we need to do this activity one more time.

Thanks,
Deepak

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs