RE: Growth pattern statistics collection after analyzing

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:05:50 -0700

For monitoring growth patterns, you can just query dba_segments or dba_tables and dba_indexes (after a regular analyze/dbms_stats.gather_*_stats), depending on exactly what you want to monitor - segment size, used/free space, HWM, etc. Index_stats (populated by analyze . . . validate structure, which requires an exclusive lock) is typically only needed if you want to check for index sparseness, selectivity, density, the infamous out-of-balance myth, etc. In my experience, these things are only needed occasionally for troubleshooting performance problems, or if you're bored and just want to rebuild some indexes to make it look like you're busy :-)

I usually just run dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats, with either compute, or estimate as appropriate for your environment, and cascade=>true. Don't bother creating histograms (larger than the default of 1 bucket) unless justified by some specific problem, such as a query using a poor execution plan due to inaccurate estimation of the cardinality because of skewed data distribution.

Regards,
Brandon