Re: Enterprise Manager/RMAN Issues

From: Peter Gram <peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:19:02 +0200

Hi Rick

There are only answers when it comes to recovery catalog database

target db

8.0.6 - 9.2.0.x         => 8.1.7
10.1 - 10.2.             => 9.0.1

/peter

p.s : *Oracle® Database Recovery Manager Reference 10/g/ Release 2 (10.2)* Part Number B14194-01 Appendix B

Wolfgang Breitling wrote:

> The rman catalog must be on a database that is of equal or higher
> version than the database(s) you want to register. So your catalog
> must be on version 10.2. in order to register a 10.2 database.
>
> At 02:41 PM 7/25/2005, Weiss, Rick wrote:
>
>> I am having problems setting up the recovery catalog for RMAN backups
>> in my environment. I have the following existing environment, DEV,
>> TEST and PROD on 9.2.0.6 on separate SLES-9 servers currently being
>> backed up and maintained using OEM 9.2(Java Client) on a different
>> server with its OEM Repository on a 9.2.0.6 database. - Everything
>> there works great. I have all the recovery catalogs on the OEM
>> repository database and back it up last level 0 every night with its
>> recovery catalog on the production database.
>>
>> Now, I am trying to add a DEV 10.2.0.1 database and OEM Grid Control
>> v10.1.0.3 to the mix. I need to begin backing up this database and
>> have not been able to get past the point of registering the 10.2
>> database on a recovery catalog. I have tried creating all the
>> combinations of recovery catalog using RMAN line mode in my
>> environment (9.0.1 from the EMGC oracle home, 9.2.0 from the other
>> repository, 10.1.0 from an obsolete database install on my test
>> server and 10.2 from my development server), every time in EMGC (web
>> client) when I try to register the database (DEV 10.2) in the
>> installed recovery catalog, I get an error that states:
>>
>> Incorrect Recovery Catalog Information
>> []
>>
>> Recovery catalog scheme version 10.02.00.00 is not compatible with
>> this version of RMAN (or whatever version I installed)
>>
>> I have RTFM'ed as much as I could find and still am baffled, is there
>> something (probably real simple) that I have missed in this mess. I
>> haven't tried backing this database up using the 9i OEM, because the
>> same thing failed when I tested it on a 10.1.0.3 database, so I think
>> I am tied to the Grid Control backup process.
>>
>> Rick Weiss
>> Oracle Database Administrator
>> Montana Department of Labor & Industry
>> Centralized Services Division
>> Technical Services Bureau
>> 1327 Lockey
>> P.O. Box 1728
>> Helena, Montana 59624-1728
>> (406) 444-9628
>> <mailto:rweiss_at_mt.gov>rweiss_at_mt.gov
>>

> Regards
>
> Wolfgang Breitling
> Centrex Consulting Corporation
> http://www.centrexcc.com

Best regards / Venlig hilsen

/*Peter Gram*/
Miracle A/S <http://www.miracleas.dk>
Kratvej 2
DK - 2760 Måløv

Cell:  (+45) 2527 7107
Phone: (+45) 4466 8855
Fax:   (+45) 4466 8856
Home:  (+45) 3874 5696
Skype:  peter_gram
Email: peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk

5-6 september 	Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus 	Lex de Haan
24-26 october 	Tom Kyte
30 october 	Special OakTable Day in Birmingham
October 31 - November 2 	UKOUG conference in Birmingham.
15-17 november 	Cary Millsap

accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein