Re: How To Find Reapeating Row Patterns

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:03:04 -0700

Sounds like a statistics problem to me. For example, if the average number of log table entries between two A's was found to be six, with a tiny variance... or if the average rowcount difference between A and B, B and C, C and D, etc, was found to be one, with a tiny variance... then you could draw some statistical conclusions about whether or not there were repeating patterns.

This is the same kind of thing economists do when they look for patterns   in, say, quarterly and seasonal financial indicators.

-Mark Bole

Post, Ethan wrote:
> Anyone know of some examples of analytical procedures/functions/programs
> that will help me see patterns in repeating sequences of values?
>
> This is for a application log table that may have dozens of messages in
> repeating orders, I want to try to isolate the message sequence for
> analysis.
>
> For_Example
>
> Something that would be able to see ABCDEF above. Even perhaps if a
> random X or Y was in the sequence, as long as it was infrequent it would
> be listed as an exeception.
>
> Thanks!

Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com