Re: OT Oracle Server Operating System

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:09:16 -0500

Juan,

Keep in mind that one of the reason Oracle emerged as the leading DB over its competitors was that it never tied itself to a particular O.S. If Oracle were to push its' own O.S. too much, then some customers that didn't have that O.S. might be reluctant to choose Oracle, feeling it put too much effort into that O.S., and might ignore other platforms. Like today some people don't consider DB2 on non-IBM platforms. And large companies are very careful about how many O.S.'s they support. Maybe Oracle could just have some extensions to Linux.

Dennis