setting character set for imp

From: Janine Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:34:02 -0700

This goes along with my previous post.

When importing the dump file imp tells me

import done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
export client uses US7ASCII character set (possible charset conversion) export server uses US7ASCII NCHAR character set (possible ncharset conversion)

True enough. imp doesn't seem to have a way to set charset, so I set an environment variable called NLS_LANG to .US7ASCII and tried again - same result.

So, since I can't change the database to use US7ASCII, is there anything at all I can do here? I don't see how to reload the data without the same result. I could try exporting it from the old database in WE8ISO8859P1 format but I doubt that's going to help.

I don't understand why we're having this problem in the first place; this conversion just adds an extra bit to each character, it's not supposed to change anything!

janine