RE: OT Oracle Server Operating System

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:49:59 -0400

>> we'll be in a mixed bag of fat clients, fat under utilized apps servers and fat under utilized database servers till hell freezes over, which ain't going to happen within my lifetime.<<

1- Ice can also burn so how do you know hell isn't already frozen over? 2- I agree with you anyway.

If anything the problem is getting worse not better. We never finished migrating off the mainframe. It was supposed to go away more than a decade ago. Today we have two mainframes as we provide our own disaster recovery site. We still are doing new development work on the mainframe and now have web pages into our non-rdbms mainframe database.

Naturally we have to run two RDMBS products and use a dozen programming languages: COBOL, PL/1, mainframe assembler, Visual Basic, Visual C, Pro*C, Forms and Report Writer, Unix Shells, JCL, DOS batch, and SAS running on two or three versions of UNIX, NT and XP, plus OS-Z and until fairly recently VMS. These are just the languages I can think of off the top of my head. Throw in a couple dozen vendor products that have to be interfaced and apply the same general name to different applications that run on different platforms and pretty darn soon working in IT is going to start to get messy.

The only way IT will get better is when top management sits down and makes aligning IT to the business a daily task instead of mostly ignoring it and leaving IT to either individual departments or a central group that top management ignores.

Just my opinion.
-- Mark D Powell --

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of stephen booth Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 3:47 PM
To: kmoore_at_zephyrus.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org