RE: Charset problems

From: David Wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:42:07 -0400

I suspect you are hosed and will have to re-load.

I don't know the nature of your application. It may be that most of the fields are codes (without accent marks) or numbers, etc.
Maybe you are lucky, maybe you aren't.

The accented characters might only appear in a very limited set of fields. If so, you might be able to extract the key info plus the affected columns and update in place where the record hasn't been changed since you did the change-over. Exception reports could tell you which records need to be looked at manually.

However, I don't know what happens when you change the character set of a database that is up and running.
Does it just work fine from then on? If so, my idea above might work. If not, time to re-load.

Best of luck, and I hope you get a better idea than the one I've supplied!