Re: OT Oracle Server Operating System

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:46:32 +0100

On 19/07/05, Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com> wrote:
> I found this quote interesting: "Ellison and other Oracle executives saw
> Raw Iron vindicating his failed network computer concept"
>
> Since I got my copy of Inforworld last night and they have a special
> report on thin clients called "Is the desktop PC History?"
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/reports/29SRthin.html

>From what I'm seeing it looks like we might be going towards slim if
not thin desktop. Still a PC but for must users all it runs locally is network logon/authentication, a basic office package (e.g. OpenOffice.org or StarOffice) and perhaps a mail client. All the big apps are presented to the user over Citrix, browser or X11 from dedicated fat servers. The biggest driver for this I'm seeing isn't the cost of buying the fat PCs, it's the cost of dealing with compatibility problems of running software from different suppliers on the same machine.

Where I work on some of our PCs, until recently, due to different software products using different versions of Oracle we had to have three different versions of the Oracle client networking software all on the same machine. (7.3.4, 8.1.7 and 9.2.0). This will work, if set up correctly. Unfortunately most of the installs were done by desktop support staff for whom Oracle is just a six letter word begining with O (i.e. they don't know anything about it) with a propensity for ignoring installation instructions, so we landed up with a lot of machines where not only did the new software not work correctly but neither did the old software as half it's support files had just been blown away and replaced with incompatible versions.

If we have remote servers delivering apps through a thin client method then we can have one app per server, or at least make sure that all the apps use the same versions of the libraries &c. It also means that if someone needs an app they don't currently have then we don't need to do a client install, we just need to change their permissions and, maybe, put a new icon on their desktop.

Stephen