Re: systemstate dump using gdb

From: Egor Starostin <egorst_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:59:07 +0700

> Does anyone have instructions on using gdb to generate a systemstate dump?
> Metalink note 121779.1 outlines using dbx, but I can't find anything using gdb.
> Note 273324.1 using gdb on hp-ux specifies
The same for Solaris.

> From the tar, Oracle is requesting systemstate dump against a running
> process. So specifying oracle.exe on the gdb line seems wrong to me.
Don't worry. It seems that specifying oracle.exe is needed only for reading symbol table. When you specify pid of s00 process then gdb will attach to it.
The only problem is that 'stepi' or 'call ksudss(10)' instruction will work only when attached process will do something.

> The instructions for dbx seem more accurate, but I don't know how to
> attach to, then specify the process.

In gdb?

(gdb) file $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
(gdb) attach your_pid
(gdb) call ksudss(10)
(gdb) detach

> (The database is freezing up, unable to make any kind of connetion.
> I'm trying to get a systemstate dump against one of the running
> processes. To make matters worse, this is an mts system, so I'm
> trying to attach to one of the s000 server processes.)
Strictly speaking, it doesn't matter to what process to attach. But in gdb case you need to be sure that process is doing something or else 'call ksudss(10)' will just hung.

--
Egor
http://www.oracledba.ru/orasrp/