RE: Slow connection to 9.2.0.6 database.

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:41:14 -0400

One more little tidbit: Do you have significant file clutter in the directory where the listener log exists? If your daily archive is in the same directory, for example, this can lead to delays in the fopen of the log. I believe on some systems that having a process keep a read open on the listener.log (which will slightly complicate your daily archive) will cause the inode to stay cached.

This could be a total red herring. The simple test would be timing tail -10 listener.log or something like that. If that is a significant portion of your 2 to 20 seconds, well, you know, Amdahl's Law.

The variability from 2 to 20 seconds would seem to indicate something more significant is going on. Does the delay vary with the rate of connection attempts? Again, tail on listener.log might quickly give you this data if done paired with connection time trials. Most likely you'll quickly rule out this notion from consideration and move on to something like an strace to see where it pauses.

Regards,

mwf