x86, 64-bit Linux, RAC

From: Murching, Bob <bob_murching_at_BUDCO.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:55:22 -0400

64-bit hardware from AMD and Intel are in fairly wide supply today, and Linux has had a 64-bit flavor for a while now. We are considering a 64-bit x86 platform for running 10g RAC. Yes, it probably isn't quite as buttoned down as SPARC 64-bit, and yes 10g RAC on 64-bit Intel/AMD probably qualifies as somewhat close to the leading edge.

All that said, does anyone here have experience deploying on this platform? What works / worked, what doesn't / didn't, and do you think the platform is ready "enough" for primetime or does it need to cook? We are not considering this platform for something that human lives depend on, so a little risk is OK. What I'm not sure of is "how much" risk is involved at this point in time. From what I've seen / read / used myself, the platform is "almost" production-ready for most conventional purposes, but with a couple of quirks to work through.

Thoughts?

Bob