RE: BIN$ objects (after media recovery)

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:24:05 +0200

Hi Dimitre,

that's pretty drastic, I would say -- to disable a nice feature in an unsupported/undocumented way -- just to get some queries slightly faster...

if your database is properly sized, you don't need to check DBA_FREE_SPACE every minute anyway :-) and you can also execute an occasional PURGE RECYCLEBIN command (with DBA privileges) to purge the recycle bin, when "needed."

All in all, the recycle bin is a *very* low price to pay for the recoverability of the "oops" situations, and by setting that hidden parameter you loose that capability.

Locally managed tablespaces also slow down certain queries against the data dictionary -- but that's not a reason to go back to dictionary managed tablespaces, right? ;-)

cheers,

Lex.

Steve Adams Seminar <http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html> http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html